Wednesday, September 15, 2010

“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.”

Well this post was supposed to have some pictures on it but Blogger isn't letting me upload them. I have been in Germany since Saturday.

We will start with the plane ride. It wasn't that bad of a ride. It didn't seem like it was eight hours. I took a double dosage of Dramamine and slept through the whole thing. Once we arrived in Frankfurt, AFS Germany has a section of the Airport reserved just for arriving students. We were the first country to arrive so we waited and watched all the other students arrive. The people at AFS Germany color coordinated us according to what train we were taking (typical Germany). Of course the train going to Stuttgart was the last to leave so we had to wait like 5 hours. There were sandwiches and other food there for us to eat. Also they had bottled water but it was either mineral water or carbonated water (there is no regular bottled water here). We finally got to our train (it was an ICE train) and it was really cool. I had never been on a train before so it was cool.

I met my host family at the train station. They bought me a pretzel that was filled with melted butter. It was really good. Outside of the train station there was a huge protest going on. Apparently the mayor of Stuttgart wants to build an expensive new train station and destroy the old one (which is a beautiful old building). The people of Stuttgart are known to be the very easy going and very conservative so for them to get together and rally is apparently a big deal.

I came home to find big colorful signs that said "Herzlich Wilkommen" throughout the house. The house here is really cool. Everything is so modern and new. The floors are all made of marble (marble floors+indoor slippers=ultimate indoor slip and slide). My room is the coolest room I have ever been in. It is Africa themed and all from Ikea. There is a skylight above my bed that you can open and see around the city. If you push a button, outdoor blinds go down so the sun doesn't come in in the morning. That night we went out for ice cream. Ice cream here is so good. I had a huge sundae. We go out to get ice cream a lot here and we have chocolate at least three times a day.

That night we had a family game night. We played Tantrix which is kind of like dominoes but with colored lines. Then we played Schwimmen which is like the German version of the game 31. After that I went to bed (what everyone says about being exhausted when you meet your host family is definitely true). The next morning we had a typical weekend breakfast. We had Brotchen (rolls) with a ton different choices as toppings. There was nutella, butter, honey, sausage, ham, cheese, sausage salad and like 12 other choices. After the Brotchen we had eggs. They were like soft boiled eggs. I tried to use the knife/ring thing to cut it but I did it wrong and mine exploded all over the table. I was embarrassed but the whole family burst into laughter so I don't think they were mad.

The next day was Sunday and we went on a sightseeing trip. We drove around and saw the amazing scenery that makes up Southern Germany. There were all the mountains, the flowers, the little villages with the nice little homes. We went to a town that a had a bunch of little shops and cafes. It was nice and of course we had more ice cream. It was like 10 in the morning but that's normal. That is pretty much all I did that day.

Monday I started language school. Language school is so much fun. I got placed in a school about 30 minutes from Altdorf. It is in Reutlingen. The first day I went by car but now I go by train. The trains here are so cool. We need public transportation like that in the USA. There are no other exchange students. There are like 13 people but all of them are above 25. When I said I was only 16 everyone was so surprised. My language teacher called me her baby chicken. She talks to us like we are four years old. You know how when you talk to little kids you make that really high and calm voice. She uses that voice on us. Also she talks incredibly slow. Its like "Wooooo Woooohhhhnnnnennnnnn Siieeeeee?"

I am really surprised how patient my host family is. I follow them around and I ask "Mama, was ist das?" or "Wie heißt das auf Deutsch?". I always ask about things because everything is so different from America.

I will post more later. I have been on the computer way to much today.

1 comment:

  1. wow, your host family sounds amazing! :) and your first days sound like you're having a great time. i notice all the same things as well...

    ReplyDelete