Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"

Let me just start out by telling about the great last few days I have had. Monday I had a German test. It was on the book we had to read, An Kurzeren Ende der Sonnenallee. It was a book about life in the DDR (German Democratic Republic/East Germany). I watched the movie and it was good but I also read most of the book. Knowing the storyline from the movie made it so much easier to understand what was going on in the book. For the test, we had to analyze a portion of the story and talk about the hidden messages, languages and style of the book. Haha yeah right, I can barely comprehend the blatant jump-out-at-you messages let alone write about them in a full out grammatically correct essay. Lucky for me the teacher knew this and she gave me a much easier assignment to do (guess who just became my new favorite teacher). I had to write a letter to my mom and describe Germany to her. It had absolutely nothing to do with the book but whatever I am obviously not complaining. I had a double period of Gym on Tuesday and we started a new lesson; sting pong. Sting pong is basically the contact sport version of ping pong, ie when you fail to hit the ball you have to turn around and everyone on the other team whips the ping pong balls at you (I am just surprised it wasn't Beer Pong). The loser usually ends up with multiple welts on their back. I knew of the game before I came though.Then after school we drove down to the Schwarzwald/ Black Forest, which is my probably my favorite place, and picked up my host Opa who is now living with us. It is good that he is living here now, he speaks slow and speaks real German so it's really easy to understand him.

Speaking of understanding the people here; I have come to love the German accent. Don't be surprised when (yes, when not if) I come home speaking with a German accent. What makes up this wonderful accent? Basically mispronouncing "th", "w", "v" and "r". The "th" is said like "d" but when they really try and say it, it sometime comes out like "ch". The "w" and "v" are just backwards. In German the "w" makes the "v" sound and vise versa. So when they speak English it sounds like "He is wery vise (he is very wise).". I have explained the whole "r" thing before but it sounds like a gutteral "w". I really do like this accent though. The absolute best thing about Germans speaking English is their use of British slang. In school, they learn British English and therefor end up learning rubbish instead of trash and cappy instead of hat. The other day someone used the phrase "bin your gum (spit out your gum)". The only time I have ever heard that was when I was in Ireland. I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Also in English class, our teacher was explaining the difference between British and American English and was like "Brits say tomahto but Americans say tomayto. Americans can't even say tomahto, watch this. Michael say tomahto." "umm, tomahto?" He was absolutely taken aback by the fact that I can say tomahto as well as tomayto.

Wednesday was a pretty good day too. On Wednesdays, I don't have school until 9:40 and that extra hour and a half of sleep is great in the middle of the week. Then I took a religion test and ate a pretzel. Then two more hours of English (favorite day of the school week because I get to sleep in and have a double period of English). After English we walked into Neckartenzlingen and bought lunch. I had a Döner box and it might be better than an actual
Döner. It's a layer of fries covered in Döner meat and sauce. After lunch I had Biologie and even though I hate high school biology, this is my favorite class. To start off the teacher's name is Frau Seemuller but everyone calls her Frau Seeman (it means something like Pirate). Also, she doesn't speak English. During her class, all the guys take whatever she says and turn it into pirate talk to annoy her. When you read the examples, try reading them in a pirate voice, it makes them so much better. She will say something like "ok let's get started" and someone will yell "aargh, we be setting sail then Cap'n Seeman." or "yo ho, anchors away lads we be casting off then" and of course she doesn't understand it but can tell by their pirate accent that they are doing the pirate thing again. She will respond with "ok, that's a yellow card/warning" and they say things like "ay matey, one more of those and ye be walking the plank". This literally goes on all class and I crack up laughing the whole 2 hours. I love this class.

Physik, on the other hand; I hate so much. Physics is the bane of my existence. The teacher doesn't seem to understand that I don't understand the lessons and the type of words that are needed to explain physics are way over my vocabulary. It is definitely getting better though. I spend a lot of the really boring/already known classes teaching my classmates Spanish. For some reason they really want to learn Spanish. It is depessing to see how much Spanish I have lost but it's good to get to use it a little bit.

This weekend should be pretty good. Tomorrow I am going to the Weihnachtsmarkt in Reutlingen with some friends. Hopefully we take the right train this time. A girl from my class is having a birthday party on Saturday and I am going to that.

If you haven't seen the little google translate bar at the top of my blog yet, go up and look at it. You can choose almost (more on that in a minute) any language and have my whole blog translated into that language. It only takes about a minute and can even do other alphabets like Arabic and Hebrew. I was a little disappointed by the fact that Faroese is not a language post. Yes it is a real language and it's on my list of languages that I want to learn (right after Greek). It is the language spoken in the Faroe Islands. That little group of Scandinavian Islands right above Britain that no one knows about. A sample of Faroese is "
Øll menniskju eru fødd fræls og jøvn til virðingar og mannarættindi. Tey hava skil og samvitsku og eiga at fara hvørt um annað í bróðuranda." How can you read that and not want to learn this language.

If you haven't noticed (and I am not sure how it is possible to not notice) I have changed my blog. The whole picture and layout of the blog is different. What do you guys think? Should I keep it like this or change it back?


As if this week couldn't be any better, my friend Kayleigh posted a blog post about me on her blog. It made my day today and I am really glad she did. The post was


"
Day 5. Dedicate a post to someone important to you telling them what you think about them and what you like about them (positive things)

Mike. My Best Friend. My Husband. The “love of my life”. I guess I should start off by saying what I think of you, but lets not be crazy, from my long letters, ridiculous wallposts, and our skype dates and the amount that I annoy you, I’m pretty sure we all know what I think of you. You are my best friend, its funny looking back on my life now and seeing how big of a part of my life you really are. A year ago I didn’t even know you existed and now I can’t imagine my life without you. (Well, that’s technically a lie because Ryan said names of his friends the one day and me and Alyssa sat there looking them up to see if they were cute (she wanted to pick a guy for me haha)…oops I probably shouldn’t have admitted that) But anyways I am supposed to say the things that I like about you, and maybe I give you too much credit but I like everything about you. (crazy I know) Everything from your amazing light green eyes (which I am in love with) to the reallllllllly attractive farmers tan you had over the summer and maybe even the jerkish way you came up from behind me and dunked me in my pool. I like the things that you say, everything ranging from the cute things you say to me all the way to the stupidest things I have ever heard. I like how i can literally tell you everything and you will never judge me but you will laugh at me.(everyone does, its okay) I like how I can trust you almost more than anyone. I also like how we can hold hands (on the way to tops) and I can tell you to let go because I want my hand on the bottom, and you will give me a look like I am crazy but you will do it anyways because I asked you to. :) I love our Putt-Putt skills, and our awkward conversations (that seem to happen to us more than they happen to most people) I love how whenever I am with you I can just be myself. I like your sense of humor and how you can always make me smile no matter what (which causes my mom to yell at me which I still don’t fully understand). I love your personality in general and how in the beginning I tried to act normal so that you wouldn’t think I was weird until I realized you are just as crazy as I am. I like that we are dating because we both wear pants. And I love you hair the way it is now. (just thought I’d throw that in there). I love (and miss) your hugs and your smile. I basically realized that would be ridiculous for me to list EVERYTHING I like about you, because there is wayyy too much and I think you get the point. You mean a lot to me, even though I have only known you a short time. The only complaint I can have is that I don’t like how you cant stay in one place because it kills me to see you go, but I have to let you leave. Just know that Buffalo/ The United States just isn’t the same without you sweetheart."



Before I go, I have a little topic of debate for you guys. I am not sure how many people are familiar with the DREAM act but here is what Wikipedia describes it as

"
The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act (The "DREAM Act") is a piece of proposed federal legislation in the United States that was first introduced in the United States Senate on August 1, 2001 and most recently re-introduced there and the United States House of Representatives on March 26, 2009. This bill would provide certain illegal and deportable alien students who graduate from US high schools, who are of good moral character, arrived in the U.S. illegally as minors, and have been in the country continuously and illegally for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment, the opportunity to earn conditional permanent residency if they complete two years in the military or two years at a four year institution of higher learning. The illegal alien students would obtain temporary residency for a six year period. Within the six year period, a qualified student must have "acquired a degree from an institution of higher education in the United States or [have] completed at least 2 years, in good standing, in a program for a bachelor's degree or higher degree in the United States," or have "served in the uniformed services for at least 2 years and, if discharged, [have] received an honorable discharge." Military enlistment contracts require an eight year commitment, with active duty commitments typically between four and six years, but as low as two years. "Any alien whose permanent resident status is terminated [according to the terms of the Act] shall return to the immigration status the alien had immediately prior to receiving conditional permanent resident status under this Act."

It's a pretty important thing to think about so I thought I would post it on here for people who didn't know about it.

I guess that's all for this one.


1 comment:

  1. The Dream Act passed the house and now it has to go through the Senate in case anyone was wondering.

    ReplyDelete