Friday, March 11, 2011

I demolish my bridges behind me. Then there is no choice but to go forward.

Sorry that this post took so long but I just haven't been in the mood to write one of these lately. I haven't had school this week so I have just been hanging out and relaxing. 

Let's see what I have been up to this week. 

Last Friday was the Dolfenger Fasnet. It's basically a huge party for Fasching. The witches (it's some sort of witch group thing) put it on every year. You're supposed to dress up in costumes but I didn't. The Fasnet was in a big hall and the theme was "above the clouds". The hall was decorated with planes and hot air balloons. There was a band type thing but also stereo music.

Saturday I went out with some friends from school. We bought Döner which made me think what I am going to do when I am back in the US and there aren't any. I eat like 2 Döner a week but in less than 4 months, I won't be able to eat them anymore. 


Monday I went to the movies with friends. We saw the movie Kokowääh. It was definitely in the top 5 best movies I have ever seen. The trailor for the movie is below. It is in German but has English subtitles.



Another good German movie is Goodbye Lenin. The trailor is also in German but with English subtitles. 


 We went to a couple of Fasching parades. We went to one on Tuesday and one on Saturday. The one on Tuesday was in Stuttgart and the other was in Neuhausen. I'll explain the parades in a minute.

I just kind of relaxed for the rest of the week. I didn't know I could be that lazy but on average I got out of bed for like 2 hours a day.  It's going to be hard to resume normal life when school starts on Monday. I probably shouldn't be complaining though because it's nothing compared to when my life in the US resumes. 


The parade in Neuhausen was smaller than the one in Stuttgart but was still over an hour. It was basically all the people of different groups/clubs dressed up in costumes and marching through the streets. The people all threw candy and tormented the people watching. Tormenting the spectators is a pastime of the Hexe (witches). They usually pull people (usually teenagers and usually girls) into the street and pin them down. Once you are pinned down, they take your things. Usually they take your shoelaces or hair scrunchies. Once they they take them, you don't get them back. They wear them as souvenirs. Sometimes they just pick you up, throw you over there shoulder and then walk away with you. Then they put you down and you have to find your way back by yourself. 


The parade in Stuttgart was like the one Neuhausen except it was bigger and instead of groups of people marching, most of the people rode on floats. Another difference was that they didn't throw just candy. A lot of floats threw those travel packs of tissues (it's a German thing). Germans don't use the normal boxes of tissues, instead they buy like a 100 of those little travel packs and stash them throughout the house and car. One of the floats even threw bananas. The lady next to us had 3 kids. Of course the witches came and took one of them. They just carried her off. They carried her as far as I could see but the mom didn't seem to care. I'm looking at her like "a random stranger dressed as a witch just stole your seven year old and carried her off like 500 feet. You should probably be concerned about that." It was like Times Square on New Year's Eve. We were packed like a can of sardines. 


I think I mentioned in the last post that I found Doritos in Germany. Well I found Mountain Dew this week. The search is over. I tried to find it on the American Military Base in Stuttgart but apparently you have be a military family to buy groceries on Base. They have huge stores full of all the American foods that I miss but I am not allowed to buy any of it. I actually found the Mountain Dew in the train station. I probably should of thought to buy it there before. I bought like 5 bottles of it and had to carry back on the train. I wish I could explain the looks that people gave me. Keep in mind that Mountain Dew is pretty unknown in Germany so the people on the train didn't know what it was. The looks were kind of like "what is that foreign kid doing with all those bottles of that sketchy fluorescent liquid". I really didn't care though, I was just happy to have Mountain Dew. I have found both Mountain Dew and Doritos so I think I will just stay in Germany now. 

The other day I made Sloppy Joes for my host family. Sloppy Joes don't exist in Germany either. My host mom came in and looked at the meat and said "and that's supposed to go on the bun?!". Then when I served them she asked "and you can eat these without a problem?". I was like "well no, that's why they are called Sloppy Joes". It was funny and they liked the sloppy joes. 

I found a video that I thought was funny but if you don't speak German/Swabian then you don't need to watch it. It talks about Swabian (the local dialect). It won't let me put the video in the post but here's the URL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20itdbbSmRk


I want to explain how going to the movies works in Germany. After that I'll wrap it up.
Well first of all, you get an assigned seat in the theatre. They give you a ticket and you have to sit where the ticket says. Also German movie theatres serve sweet popcorn instead of salty popcorn. It's not kettle corn just really sweet and sugary popcorn. Usually you can ask for salty popcorn but they will give you the sweet corn by default. I forgot this rule when I went to the movie theatre on Monday and ended up with the sweet popcorn (which is kind of gross). One of the good things about the theatres is that there are very few commercials before the film. Of course this is Germany, so the theatres sell beer at the concession stand. The movie theatre at home costs about 10 dollars for a ticket but the theatre here was just 6. One of the very few things that is cheaper in Germany than in the USA. 


OK, I guess that is all for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment