Tuesday, August 30, 2011

“When you're safe at home you wish you were having an adventure; when you're having an adventure you wish you were safe at home”

51 days since I left Germany. 
That right there is the weirdest feeling ever. I've been back in the States for about two months now so I have gotten back into my routine and things are starting to get back to normal. I am constantly looking through my pictures or reading the book that my class gave me. You look back and think "I can't believe it's over. I can't believe I spent a year in Germany and it's already over". The parts in the beginning feel like they happened forever ago. 

Leaving Germany was really hard. It was even harder because I had to say goodbye to everyone like 4 extra times. I said goodbye to my class about 4 times and each time they would all surprise me with another meeting (which was of course another goodbye). I left on Friday so on Wednesday my class had a little presentation in English class. They all said goodbye and gave me a scrapbook they made. They all wrote letters and then pictures in with them. Then at the end of the day, they did their "real" goodbyes. I had plans Wednesday night to go to a bar with some guys from my class. So we are walking and we pass the bus stop. They said we were getting a ride from someones mom so I didn't think anything of it. Instead of going to the bar, my class threw me a surprise going-away-party. That was definitely in the top 10 best memories I have of Germany. 

Then Thursday we drove to Frankfurt (the city we departed from) and spent the night with some friends because we had to be at the airport early Friday morning. Of course they gave me the wrong boarding pass, checked my luggage in someone else's name and charged me for extra bags. I didn't think to check the boarding pass they gave me so I just put it in my backpack and kept walking. It wasn't until actually boarding that I realized the boarding pass wasn't mine. So I had to wait an extra 25 minutes at the counter as they printed off a new boarding pass and assigned my luggage to me in the computer. The actual flight wasn't too bad until the very end. We hit some major turbulence and couldn't get clearance to land for like an hour. The turbulence made it really bumpy, we suddenly dropped altitude a couple times and of course the lights in the part of the plane started flickering. It was pretty horror-movie-esque. 

Coming home was great. It was such a weird feeling to walk into our house again. I basically just picked up where I left off with friends and everything so I guess the whole reverse culture shock thing didn't hit too hard. I read other people's posts and status' about how hard it was to readjust to life in the USA but it was pretty easy for me. Of course I get homesick for Germany and crave speaking German with people but adjusting wasn't too bad. 

My host mom and host sister spent the past two weeks visiting so that probably helped too. It was nice to have them here. It was like a stückchen of mein deutsches Leben here in America. We went all over the place. We showed them Toronto, Niagara Falls, Buffalo and Niagara on the Lake. I had just gotten used to speaking English again before they came. Now I am back to having German come first. I start school in about a week so I should be pretty busy from here on out. 

Going to Germany was something that I didn't really think over for too long. I knew it was something I wanted to do. I was right. It was definitely worth doing. If I had the chance then I would definitely do it again. I think I probably will do it again. Maybe for a year again but probably just for the summer. 


I didn't have much to say in this post but I figured I had to end it somehow. Check back periodically in case I do write something.


6 comments:

  1. just saw your blog by coincidence, and i have to say it's great :) your german is awesome! wirklich gut! i am from germany and right now in california for one year :) liebe gruesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good blog. I wonder if you get a kind of "reverse" delayed culture shock now that your back in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog, congratulations from:
    http://leyendas-de-oriente.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hotels in DelhiAre you looking for Hotels in Delhi? Call cheap hotel in Delhi Today @+91-9810104774 or Hotels in Delhi at affordable rates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,

    HipHop recording sensation Provy Suflayy released "A Star Brite Burnin Brite ' featuring Rachel Schryvers for World Peace during New Zealand tour.

    Watch the music video now on YouTube!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06H7IVEbAY

    Go Buy "'A Star Burnin Brite" now on iTunes for $ .99 cents!

    ReplyDelete